Time your answers for the following questions:
- Describe a situation in which
you had to use reference materials to write a research paper? What was the topic? What journals did you read?
- Give me a specific example
of a time when a co-worker or a classmate criticized your work in front
others. How did you respond? How has the
event shaped the way you
communicate with others?
- Describe a situation in
which you recognized a potential problem as an opportunity. What
did you do?
- Give me a specific example of a time when you
sold your professor or
supervisor an idea or concept. How did
you proceed? What was the result?
- Describe the system you use for keeping track
projects. How do you track your progress
so that you can meet deadlines?
- Tell me about a time you came up with an
innovative solution to a
challenge your company or class was facing.
What was the challenge? What role
did others play?
- What, in your opinion, are the key ingredients in
maintaining successful business relationships?
Give me examples of how you’ve made these work.
- Describe a time when you got co-workers or
classmates who dislike each
other to work together. How did you
accomplish this? What was the outcome?
- Tell me about a time when you failed to meet a
deadline. What things did you fail to do? What
were the repercussions? What did you learn?
- Describe a specific problem you solved for your
professor. How did you approach the
problem? What role did others play?
- Describe a
challenge in your life and then share how you dealt with the
challenge and what you learned about yourself.
- What are three effective leadership qualities you
important? How have you demonstrated
these qualities in your past “work” situation?
More questions to practice:
- Tell me about yourself.
did you choose to
interview with our organization?
- What can you contribute to
- Where do you see yourself five, ten, fifteen years
- Why did you choose the career for which you are
- How do you think a supervisor/advisor would
- How has your college experience prepared you for
- What skills have you developed that relate to this
- What interests you most about this position?
- What are the most important rewards you expect to
receive in your
- What did you enjoy most about your last
employment experience? Least?
creative/innovative idea that you produced which led to a significant
contribution to the success of an activity or project.
was the most complex
assignment you have had? What was your
an example of how
you acquired a technical skill and converted it into a practical
demonstrate that you can adapt to a wide variety of people, situations,
me about a suggestion
you made to improve the way job processes/operations worked. What
was the result?
are three effective
leadership qualities you think are important?
How have you demonstrated these qualities in your past/current
me a specific example
of a time when you did not meet a deadline.
How did you handle the subsequent situation?
- Why should we hire
you rather than another candidate?
Illegal Interview Questions:
- How old are you?
- Where were you/your parents
- Do you plan to have a
- What clubs or organizations do you belong to?
- How tall are you? How much do
- Do you have any disabilities?
- Have you had any recent or past illnesses or operations?
- What was the date of your last physical exam?
- How’s your family’s health?
- Have you ever been arrested?
- With whom do you live?
- What’s your birth date?